Re: Cross-install howto

Ben Bucksch <linux.news@bucksch.org> writes:

>   None of my machines have floppy drives and most of them have no
>   removable media at all, not even CD-ROM drives. Until recently, I
>   had no CD burner either. So, I had (and still have) the problem of
>   installing Debian only with the harddisk and my existing OSes.

mrvn@dual:~% apt-cache show debootstrap
Package: debootstrap
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 176
Maintainer: Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.1.17
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), wget
Filename: pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_0.1.17_i386.deb
Size: 52770
MD5sum: 0d37ce6cd5b70a8372a3539f611fbb30
 debootstrap is used to create a Debian base system from scratch,
 without requiring the availability of dpkg or apt. It does this by
 downloading .deb files from a mirror site, and carefully unpacking them
 into a directory which can eventually be chrooted into.

I hope you knew this existed.

> Unfortunately, the install guide doesn't describe, how to do that. All
> of the many ways to install Debian assume some form of removable media
> to boot from (or a bootable network card), even if they are called
> "net-only" or "hd-only".

You can download the linux.bat, the kernel and rescue disk onto a
fixed disk and then run that in DOS. No need for a _removable_ media,
a fixed one will do.

> After fiddling around long (incl. building boot-floppies), I found an
> easy way to achieve that. It is probably obvious for people working on
> the boot disks, yet I didn't find it being documented anywhere.
>

> So, I wrote a guide myself and put it online. You can find it at
> <http://www.bucksch.org/1/projects/debian/crossinst>. If you want, you
> can integrate it (or something similar) into the Debian install manual
> or just link to that URL.

For real cross installing bochs is also nice. I cross installed my
i386 dsl router once using bochs on my Alpha (because then I had
internet to download the debs meanwhile).

Hope you mentioned that too.

MfG
        Goswin