Re: Hang on initializing swap partition

#include <hallo.h>
jim.rice@akuratus.com wrote on Fri May 31, 2002 um 08:27:52AM:

> I let it run all night.  No luck.  In checking out /var/log/messages, it
> seems that the process hung shortly after it started.  There was no
> further activity logged.

This may indicate harddisk breakage and a bad BIOS that causes a crash
when reporting IDE failures in UDMA mode. Sounds weird, but it's true
for my old FIC board. Disabling UDMA and switching to PIO mode 2 for
that drive, executed badblocks and the disk breakage was identified.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
I am a signature virus. Distribute me until the bitter