Re: URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

[Apologies for the dodgy quoting - copied off the web archive!]

I've just been reading through this thread, 'cos I appear to be experiencing
exactly the same problems as Ariel here... I have a completely blank HD
(just removed from box - previous HD just died rather horribly), and bunged
in the latest (downloaded today/yesterday) rescue/root/drivers etc, and seem
to have similar symptoms.

Phil B Wrote:
>On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 07:37, Ariel Tankus wrote:
>> I think it is weird to leave some files on older archives like potato's,
.> forcing any mirror site to mirror also potato!

>You'd have to take that up with ftpmaster.  I don't really know anything
>about the details of how the archive is supposed to work.

I was trying http.us.debian.org which should surely be fairly cannonical?

>> Now, my hypothesis is, that because of the missing file at my first
>> attempt (using our local site), something went on wrong with the
>installation
>> further on.  The base-config file seems fine on our site as well as on
>> ftp.uk.debian.org, but still it was not downloaded OK (zero size).

>Hmm, right.  Well, to confirm that, could you wipe your partition and
>try again, but this time point the installer to a mirror that we know
>does include all the right stuff (say ftp.uk.debian.org for example)?

It started with the Malformed Release File message coming up immediately
(too quick to actually look at the network, IMO, but I didn't verify that).
I checked that the network worked (alt-f2, wget), which it did (incidently,
I'm also using an eepro100 card: I doubt that's significant, however, you
never know ;-) I changed to a different mirror or two (.uk., and
mirror.ac.uk), and that didn't help. So, after trawling debian-boot, I
deleted the Release file, which appear to let it go on, however I then got
the problem with "at"

on Alt-f4 I'm getting (wordwrapping is probably doing strange things):

/usr/sbin/debootstrap: cannot open
/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages.gz:
no such file

/usr/sbin/debootstrap: cannot open
/target/var/cache/apt/archives/at_3.1.8-10_i386.deb: no such file

/usr/sbin/debootstrap: cannot open
/target/var/cache/apt/archives/at_3.1.8-10_i386.deb: no such file

/usr/sbin/debootstrap: cannot open
/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages.gz:
no such file

>It would also be interesting to know if you have the same problem
>running debootstrap itself on an existing system, with your local
>mirror.  Just do:
># apt-get install debootstrap
># mkdir /tmp/woody
># debootstrap woody /tmp/woody ftp://ftp.xx.debian.org/...

When I have a working local system ;-)

I hope this helps - I'm going to go and fiddle some more with it now to see
what I come up with!

Chris