Re: URGENT! Install Base System via network: settings wrong

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:51:40PM +0200, Ariel Tankus wrote:
> 1.  After entering the root floppy, and immediately before the first
>     screen (the Debian 3.0 title), the following error messages occured:
>     modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>     /lib/modules/2.2.20/modules.dep (no such file or directory)

Yes, this is a known issue.  It's unrelated, though, so no need to worry.

>     When trying to install these two, I received the following error message:
>     /target/usr/sbin/modconf: cannot create:  directory nonexistent.

Same with this, except that I think this one is already fixed in the
development sources.

> 4.  Well, I thought to myself, everything is going fine.
>     But then, another surprise:  at_3.1.8-10.deb was corrupt (or so the
>     installation system said;  I guess the installation system is wrong,
>     or else I couldn't upgrade my potato from that very same site).

That's right.  If you can make this happen again, please go to
/target/var/cache/apt/archives where you should find the newly-downloaded
.deb file, and compare its length and md5sum with a good copy from the
ftp site.

> 6.  I manually erased the two files I just mentioned, returned to the
>     installation system, and tried once again the base system installation.
>     And the 3rd surprise:  ``Malformed Release file''.
>     I never got this message in the various downloading attempts I had,
>     but I got it only after *erased* the two files!

That's strange.  So it seems that debootstrap is somehow unable to re-
download the files after they have been erased.

Was there anything on the Alt-F4 virtual console?

Thanks for your help with testing.

p.