Re: modifying rescue/root disk

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:41:31PM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> I would like to be able to modify the debian rescue and root disk so that
> I can use brltty when I am installing or have to use the rescue disk for
> other reasons. Brltty is a program that enables a blind user to use a

I read through your attachment, and nothing stands out that would make
this any less workable on a Debian system. Hopefully if you get it
working, it could be incorporated as an option in the new
debian-installer.

It seems like the strategy there should work for modifying the
root.bin disk. The rescue disk contains only the kernel, so you will
be able to skip the step of removing the initrd from there. Mounting
root.bin on a loopback should give you the access you need; the only
question will be whether it will fit. If you are using i386, you may
be OK; and if not, you might be able to remove some other stuff you
don't need, for example language-chooser, extra keymaps, or programs
for handling reiserfs or ext3 filesystems.

But take my input with a grain of salt, maybe somebody else will chime
in.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |