Boot issue with Linux 2.2.19

Linux was loaded from CDROM. On reboot from HD, I am left with "LI" and a cursor. Tried Rescue Route=/dev/hdd5...got "root file system not mounted". (Install CD says it is mounted but not initialized.) Tried HDF=CDROM. Message back: "Could not find kernel image: HDF=CDRO.M". Guess: using hdd5 instead of hda1? Hmmm... Tried Linux install CD multiple times...always ended with all ok and to reboot.

Hardware particulars: The install was done on D: (2 G partition on 30.8 slave drive) E: is 27+G. Guess: slave will not boot? But it had with
Corel Linux 8.0...but I never got the full Desktop for whatever reason.
Box is a 400 Celeron, 192 RAM...8.4 GHD as master. The slave drive passes the 1024 cyl limit...issue?
D: and E: are logical drives.
Did a physical disco of the 30 GHD...booting still "sees" D:!

On booting from a Linux floppy, one ends with "Loading Linux...". which does not happen.
A WIN98 boot disk goes to D:, C: DOS can be opened, files reached.
(But not Windows.) E: cannot be opened..."invalid".
Using the library to get out to you...the slave HD had been ok, no issues, fdisked and formatted before install.
Guess: Virtual D: on boot?
Help!
Tony onyc2ap@prodigy.net and t_chopkoski@hotmail.com
ps..if you need time just let me know someone is out there in space..
Thanks!