mice

I've been trying to install linux 2.2 r4 on a Windows98 system from CD1 (and others) but cannot get the X system to respond to the "mouse".
The computer is an intel pentium ii of very ordinary variety (an NEC package) with a Logitech M-S48 mouse which seems to be of the ordinary PS2 sort with two buttons and a centre wheel cum button that ought to be using /dev/psaux. I can find no documentation to clarify what the problem might be (I haven't looked with great thoroughness since using the system without graphics, while not as bad as using a keypunch, is not pleasing).

Can you give me any idea how to make the mouse work? I'm very tired of editing lilo.conf.

James Bennett
14/4 Craigmillar Court
Craigmillar Castle Gardens
Edinburgh EH16 4AE