smc-ultra module: woody has the same problem as potato? An odd work around?

smc-ultra module are here again?

Some details:
I used rescue.bin, root.bin and drivers-{1,2,3,4}.bin from
/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44. Their Last
Modified date is 18-Dec-2001.
When trying to load the smc-ultra module I get an error. Running a
google search for
   potato install smc-ultra
reveals that the same problem was seen with potato too.

The work around that seems to work for me is to feed the 4 drivers
diskettes as debootstrap suggests, let it be utared and then to reboot
the system. That is, reboot instead of using debootstrap way to load
the modules. Then, after initializing the kbd, and using the previously
formated swap and other partitions, I insmod 8390 and insmod smc-ultra
with the appropriate parameters. Surprisingly I had no errors. However
it could be that the reboot should be done after using debootstrap to
load the modules, even that it fails to do so.

The required parameters for the smc-ultra module in my case were irq=10
io=0x280, although I do not think this is irrelevant.

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net