Re: install non-core udebs to /usr/local

Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 11:19:35AM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > Well, if we need more than 4MB of space in /usr then it will mean that
> > we can only install to machines with more than 8MB, which effictively
> > means you need 16MB to install debian.
>
> Why would we need more than 4MB of space? The existing installer fits in
> 1MB; and if you're doing an install on a low memory machine, you're probably
> not going to be too worried about not getting a graphical installer, or a
> 3D tetris game to play, or whatever. No?
>
> If you've got a CD, and you can use a small, live, ro fs on it, then
> you've probably got enough room to include enough udebs already unpacked
> that you don't need to install anymore.
>
> Cheers,
> aj
>
> --

Well... generally speaking one of the primary limitations of the
installer is space, if we can get over that limitation then we will be
better off both now and in the future.

If space wasnt a limititation we wouldnt have to pay so much a atention
to building customised binaries which take extra effort to develop and
maintain.

To a certain point if we leave more ram for the system to run with then
programs will run faster as they wont be digging into swap space, this
will have a really noticable effect on low end installs.

We either choose to work in a space constrained environment, or we try
and break from from those constraints.

Id be happy to have two flavours of the installers (lowmem, normal) if
that was satisfactory.

Glenn