Re: i18n and libnewt?

In message <[🔎] oaelm58t3x.fsf@arroz.onshored.com>, Adam Di Carlo writes:
>Hmm, ok, so installing libnewt-utf8_pic.a would be totally useless?

I think so, yeah.

>Regarding slang, are we in the same boat?  Do they have the same
>soname?  Removing all slang*-pic packages is not an option because it
>makes the image no long fit...

Well, kind of.  The libraries in slang1 and slang1-utf8 do have the same
soname,
but slang1-pic and slang1-utf8-pic also both install their libraries as
/usr/lib/libslang1.4.4_pic.a.  I'm not sure if this is better or worse than
the newt situation.  It also turns out that libnewt-utf8-0 depends on slang1,
rather than slang1-utf8.  Although this is the kind of thing that nightmares
are made of, it doesn't seem to be doing us any real harm right now so my
inclination is to leave it well alone.

p.