Re: fallback to single language when fbcon not available

On Fri Dec 07, 2001 at 09:34:34PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> In message <[🔎] 20011207142955.A18062@codepoet.org>, Erik Andersen writes:
> >I believe the problem is that vga16fb reprograms the pallette on
> >bootup to match the penguin, then later rotates it back to the
> >stock pallette, leaving the penguin all wierd-ed out.  In 2.4.x
> >the vga16fb never rotates the pallette, and all penguin pics for
> >all arches and color depths have been standardized (and actually
> >they all look good for a change).
> >    http://home.tvd.be/cr26864/Linux/fbdev/logo.html
>
> Oh yeah.  I wonder how hard it would be to patch the new ones back into
> 2.2.x - is it just a replacement linux_logo.h, or does it go deeper?
> Seems like a bit of a shame that the final copies of the beer-swilling
> penguin have been rooted out, but I guess that's progress.
>
> I did have an ARM-branded penguin logo somewhere too, maybe I ought to
> dig it out again.

If I recally correctly, from the last time I looked, the tools
listed on the page above produce 2.2.x compatible images without
any problem.  If not, it should only take very minor changes to
the surrounding verbage in linux_logo.h to merge them from 2.4.x
into 2.2.x.  I've done such things by hand on several occasions.
I expect with some minor tweeking you could use the 2.4.4 patch
on that webpage for 2.2.20 kernels...

 -Erik