Re: What is IPL ?

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:34:17AM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the french translator of dbootstrap, and I can't translate what I don't
> understand, so I have to ask it here :
>
> What does the following messages mean ?

You ran into some IBM S/390-special terms (ZIPL, IPL, DASD). Since these
are common terms in the S/390-World which are understood by S/390-people
I think you should not try translate them. Nevertheless here come the
explanations:

IPL means "Initial Program Load" and is called "booting" on other
platforms.

Citing from the ZIPL manpage:

 "ZIPL is used  to make either dasds or tapes bootable for system IPL
 or system dump."

which means that ZIPL corresponds to the i386-lilo.

DASD means "Direct Acces Storage Device" and is called "harddisk" on
other platforms.

Hope this helps?

Jochen