Re: cvs commit to boot-floppies by pb

Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:49:08PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > >Oh, so that's why I'm still getting ?'s instead of accents and
> > >incomplete lines?
> > No, it shouldn't make any difference in that respect.  Can you be more specific
> > about the problems you're having?
>
> I'm building some catalan-enabled floppies, with no LANG_CHOOSER.
> It looks like dbootstrap isn't started under the right locale, as it
> shows 8bit characters like "?" in some places, and in others, it cuts
> the line:
>
> "Instal·lar moduls etc"
> is shown as
> "Instal"
>
> This is what many reported a while ago, but I thought it should have
> been fixed by newt and bogl-term. It's still happening, although I've
> got the lastest packages installed here.

Hmm... if dbootstrap needs some LC_* or LANG env vars set prior to
running, I'm pretty sure none of that is being done on the non-i18n
root disks.  Could you file a bug on this?  Don't make it 'serious' or
higher though, it's not release blocking.

> If I try installing even if I can't see much of the menus, I have to
> stop when the network isntaller tries to fetch the Release file from a
> mirror, it dies with "malformed release file". And I've never got
> anywhere further from that point. wgetting the file by hand in the shell
> worked, and I tried many mirrors, both ftp and http. I don't think it's
> a mirror problem.

I have no idea what this problem is, you need to followup with a bad
bug -- it's either a dbootstrap or wget I think.  There is I think a
known problem where we should be clearing out the downloaded release
files etc if debootstrap is run >1 times, though, which could be
handled perhaps by either dbootstrap or debootstrap.