Re: tail /var/log/messages spasm

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 12:55:50PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> Intermittently during testing, I've found that the tail
> /var/log/messages running on tty3 sometimes reports "no such file or
> directory." I assume this is because the messages file simply doesn't
> exist yet.

thats not a tail /var/log/messages, syslog on b-f is configured to log
directly to /dev/tty3.

> Certainly one fix for this would be to touch messages in=20
> scripts/rootdisk/prototype/var/log, thus creating an empty file. Perhaps
> another way is to otherwise create the file at boot time, perhaps in
> inittab?

no that won't change anything, what your seeing is no such file or
directory messages being logged.

> On another topic: currently, the default ext2 partition formatting
> provides backward support for 2.0 kernels. Would anyone object if I
> change the default to 2.2 (and later) kernels? I noticed that the arm
> message (in utilities/dbootstrap/partition_config.c) is a bit different,
> something about netwinder firmware. I won't change that entry without
> explicit instructions.

im all for it, except on archs that have firmware which reads old
style ext2, like the netwinder.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/