Re: APUS Debian Boot-Floppies Images and bugs

On 17-May-01, Alan Buxey wrote:

AB> How much fits onto one 880K formatted disk, i cant recall,
AB> its been so long....is it 856k?

I think it depends which filesystem you use, and whether you have many small
files verses few big ones.  For a disk mostly filled with one large file
(like a kernel image), FFS should be more efficient, since it doesn't put
headers on every block, IIRC, using all 512 bytes for actual data.

FFS has been in ROM since v37, so it should be safe to assume everyone can
boot from an FFS disk.  Except maybe a (very) few A3000 users.

If you get really desperate, there exist crunchers which can store Amiga
(68K) executables in a cruched format and decompress them as they load.
Don't know if anyone's used these under an at all recent version of AmigaOS,
though.

Duncan

--
... You sound reasonable...Time to up my medication.