lack of support for NICs during installation

TeknoDragon <andross@ghettobox.dhs.org> writes:

> If you mean "stock kernel" as in the one compiled for installations (plus
> allmodules), then you should hear about this:

there are 4 such kernels for i386 -- the significant ones are the
vanilla ones, the 'idepci', and the 'compact' kernels.

> These cards didn't work for me on a recent debian install. (using official
> nonUS cd)

Well, the question is, which flavor, did you try the modules, etc.

> 3c900C-TX
> 	these are pretty new skinny Cyclone based cards made for OEM use
> 	(had to d/l drivers from 3com's website, didn't work so well)
>
> Netgear fa311 based
> 	(vendor provides a 2.0.x module, natsemi module in 2.4.x works but
> 	there isn't one in 2.2.x on the potato 2.2.r3 cd)
>
> My wife says debian-user is full of reports about NIC problems, too much
> traffic for me ;->

Someone  needs to file bugs -- probably against the idepci kernel
provided in Debian.  that kernel has room and is supposed to provide
in the kernel most common PCI equipment.

For other kernels, which probably don't have room, these NIC cards
should be available as modules.

If no one files bugs and pesters the kernel-image maintainers, the
problem won't get fixed.   Here are the packages to be tested and to
file bugs against:

  kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-i386
  kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci
  kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-compact

The boot-floppies team does not maintain these kernels, we just use
them.  Please do not report such problems to us -- we can't fix them.

'Nuff said.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>