Re: debian-installer and devfs

On Mon Mar 05, 2001 at 11:17:33PM -0800, David Whedon wrote:
> > Right now, busybox init doesn't work with devfs.  I have not
> > looked into what changes are needed to make it work.  I agree
> > though, that if we do go this route, we really want to avoid
> > the cost of devfsd,
> >

> bustbox 0.49pre-1 init does work with devfs, at least everything I've seen so
> far works well.

great!

What I had been told was the following.  Busybox init tries to open up all
devices mentioned in inittab when init starts up.  So when folks try to have
inittab's sysinit process start devfsd, it is already too late to make use of
the compatibility devices....  Of course, if folks use the devfs names sans
devfsd then, yes, everything it should work fine.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com