zlib compression corruption from cvs server?

Using
      CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot cvs -z3 co .

it runs for a while and then starts losing in ways that are *very*
characteristic of decompression failures.  I'm running unstable at
this end, which is mildly suspicious - so I ask, has anyone else seen
this kind of thing?  Dropping the "-z3" seems to be leading to a clean
checkout, though...
			_Mark_ <eichin@thok.org>
			The Herd of Kittens
			Debian Package Maintainer

U boot-floppies/nfsroot.sh
U boot-floppies/package-m68k.sh
U boot-floppies/release.sh
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `se/doc' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `}' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `do_arrch in' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `  i3uilease/doc' from cvs server
cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `}' from cvs server

and later

U boot-floppies/documentation/release-totes.ru.sgml
cvs checkout: protocol error: cannot parse date 11 Fer 2001 01:09:57 -0000
U boot-floppies/docum8ntation/release-notes.sgml
U boot-floppies/docum8ntation/release-notes.sk.sgml
cvs checkout: protocol error: cannot parse date 15 Fer 2001 22:11:21 -0000