Subject: Re: ltmodem works on 2.4.0test11
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:40:06 +0100
From: Marco Giordani <giordani@students.cs.unibo.it>
To: Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz>
CC: LinModems <discuss@linmodems.org>
On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 03:41:23PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> As far as I can see, this is forbidden.
>
> You take GPL-ed serial.c, then statically link it against
> closed-source piece of software. That is violation of GPL.

I'm afraid you're wrong here.
The patch I posted was against serial.c (and it is allowed by the GPL
license). I didn't post the final object, because _that_ would have been
bad.

bye, Marco.
With respect to Debianizing, Mark Spieth has put commands  in the
README  for  ltmodem.tar.gz --> ltmodem.o ---> ltmodem.rpm
and
    alien ltmodem.rpm
does take it to an effective
    ltmodem.deb
though a pause at
    alien -g ltmodem.rpm
 is still desirable to achieve Debian standards with added
Documentation/Depends/Conflicts.  We would be Delighted if someone more
Experience than (negligible) I took over the Debianizing step.
I've been spending more than an hour a day in "Fire Control" on
discuss@linmodems.org.

Incidentally, professionally I'm a biologist administrator with no
formal comp-sci training. I just stumbled into this because my company
laptop has an embedded Lucent modem, and decided to return help for my
early Linux years.

MarvS