Re: regarding potato images

[Please trim X-Postings as appropriate when replying]

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 11:53:25PM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:
> According to debian-cd/tools/boot/potato/boot-*:
[snip]
> Arm: not bootable at all since supported computers don't have CD drives.

Erm, actually that's not quite correct, maybe the docs should be
changed:

- Acorn A5000 and RiscPC machines can have a CD ROM, but don't support
  booting from it (which is not important because they come with RISC
  OS in ROM).
- As has just been noted on debian-arm, the CATS board can now boot
  from CD ROM. Quoting message
  <E14GnR7-0007BP-00@kings-cross.london.uk.eu.org> from Phil B.:

> Booting the CATS is a little tricky at the moment. The latest (0.6)
> firmware can apparently boot from CD-ROM, but it doesn't directly
> understand Linux kernels. You have to tack a small piece of code
> onto the front of the image. Aside from that there are no major
> issues. I don't know offhand if the potato CDs are supposed to be
> bootable or not.

I don't know about the various other ARM machines and evaluation
boards.

Cheers,

  Richard

--