Re: Re: Boot problem

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 04:07:05PM +0100 , Marcin Owsiany wrote:

> [...]
> > >Hardware conflict.  Can you say "x86 is a crap architecture"?
> > >
> > >I suggest you try booting with the 2nd or 3rd CDs, which have kernels
> > >more optimized for modern (PCI) hardware.
> [...]
> > After an attempt from 2nd CD I got additional
> > message:
> > sim710: No NCR53C710 adapter found.

never mind. this is kernel autodetection. If you don't have this one, you
can sefely ignore this

> > NCR reminds me of SCSI adapter, but I don't have
> > nad SCSI device in my computer. Looks like Debian
> > 2.2 requires a SCSI device to be present in the
> > computer. Strange....
>
> If you have read the documentation, you would know that there
> are 4 'flavors' of kernels in Debian. One of them only has

No. The standard one has almost all SCSI drivers, but the others don't.

> drivers for SCSI drives, so you can't boot it on a IDE-only
> system.

yes, you can.

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<zpx> it's amazing how "not-broken" debian is compared to slack and rh