Re: debian-installer demo system, take 2

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 04:20:21PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Here is another debian-installer demo system. It still needs a real
> debian system and doesn't chroot, nor does it even use cdebconf although
> it probably could. But it is rather more impressive than the last one:
>
> joey@gumdrop:~/tmp/demo>du -s
> 73k     .
>
> [ Well that's not too bad. Of course it lacks the big 4: kernel, libc,
>   busybox, cdebconf. BTW, it compresses down to 19k.. ]

Very nice!

> The goal is to find a mirror that is close to you on the network -- be  aware
> that near countries, or even your own, may not be the best choice.
>
>   a. Australia       2. France         8. Norway
>   o. Austria         g. Germany        p. Poland
>   b. Belgium         3. Greece         9. Portugal
>   q. Brazil          h. Hong Kong      r. Russia
>   v. Britain (UK)    4. Hungary        s. Slovakia
>   w. Bulgaria        i. Indonesia      10. Slovenia
>   c. Canada          5. Ireland        11. South Africa
>   x. China           6. Italy          12. Spain
>   y. Costa Rica      j. Japan          13. Sweden
>   z. Croatia         k. Korea (South)  14. Switzerland
>   1. Czech Republic  l. Latvia         t. Taiwan
>   d. Denmark         m. Mexico         15. Turkey
>   e. Estonia         n. Netherlands    u. United States
>   f. Finland         7. New Zealand    16. enter information manually
>
> Use a mirror from what country? u

I understand the general logic behind this, but I've got two big user
interface objections.  For one, I wish there was a way to not present
such a hideously big menu at the beginning, even if it is very simple;
not much we can do about that, though.  More importantly, the
cleverness of selecting the abbreviations will really fry us later, I
think.  Could we go back to just numbering the options?  Seeing
"a, b, b, q, v, w, c, x, y, z, 1" as consecutive options just rings
badly.

Dan