Re: [VA-Debian] Comments from a first-time Debian install.....

Randolph Chung wrote:
> > No -- I'm not saying that we create a new task package.  I am merely
> > saying that tasksel should have a selectable item on the list which is
> > *not* from a task package, representing the packages at the standard
> > priority.
>
> *grumble*, IMO this is much easier done in base-config....

I can go that way if you want to go that way.

OTOH, do we really want to add a new question to the installation
process just to ask "you do want enogh packages to have 'a reasonably
small but not too limited character-mode system'" ?

It's worth looking at what policy has to say:

     `standard'
          These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
          character-mode system.  This is what will install by default if
          the user doesn't select anything else.  It doesn't include many
          large applications, but it does include Emacs (this is more of a
          piece of infrastructure than an application) and a reasonable
          subset of TeX and LaTeX (if this is possible without X).

This can really be read two ways; either standard is selected if you pick
nothing else and deselected if you pick anything, or it is selected and
anything else you pick layers on top. Since the second is dselect's behavior,
I suspect the second meaning is the intended one.

If so, tasksel -s meets the letter and spirit of policy, as does aph's idea
about having what looks like a task. I don't think prompting about standard
seperately is in line with what policy is saying.

OTOH, if we decide to do that, we can just change policy.

--
see shy jo