Re: weekly debian-installer progress report

Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 10:01:09PM +0100 wrote:
> > 	- other hardware detection [David Whedon]
> > 		David has written detectors for sound, ethernet, cd, cpu,
> > 		disk, and memory detection. All need testing.
>
> Great! I've been thinking about sound card detection, especially because
> sndconfig (of which I am the maintainer) doesn't do its jobs very well
> in some cases. Sndconfig probably needs to be rewritten, based on
> libdetect (as opposed to libkudzu) and this boot floppy effort. Will
> this hardware detection system only exist inside the boot floppies, or
> will it be part of some broader hardware management system?

Actually we should probably remove sound detection from the "other hardware"
list, I mostly added that for demonstration.  We will want to detect only those
things required to complete the base install. (ethernet, modem, cd, and maybe
memory, disk, cpu).

A broader hardware management system would be a really good idea.  One of the
goals the new debian installer is that such work can be removed from the domain
of the boot floppies and into the 'real' debian distribution, thus making it
more visible (perhaps more people will work on it) allow it to operate without
restrictive space constraints, and also make it able to deal with the addition
of new hardware after the base system has been installed.

A recent discussion on debian-devel brings two programs to light that might
provide a good starting point for Debian:
Progeny's 'discover' (I've loooked briefly at it and it looks well done):
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0011/msg00721.html
Corel also has a program:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-0011/msg00706.html

-David