Re: boot problem

Tim Veazey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just attempted to install debian for the first time (new to the
> linux world too).  The installation seems to go ok.  However, when it
> comes time to reboot, the system freezes after the following boot
> message:
>
> "Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as a reference..."
>
> The only other messages I see the loos like they might be errors are:
>
> modprobe: insmod * failed
> ...and...
> Mounting local filesystems...
> not mounted anything
>
> I've tried installing with and without the options "Set system clock to
> GMT".
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tim Veazey
> Linux Newbie

This wouldn't happen to be an install on a Macintosh Quadra 950 would
it?  If so just hit Ctrl-C when you get the message and the system will
continue booting.  After you log in as root go to the init.d directory
and comment out the hwclock lines in hwclock.sh  hwclock is broken for
use on the Quadra 950.

--
Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org