newlib for installer?

newlib is a replacement for libc used on embedded systems. Perhpas the
small footprint would be good for the installer.  I searched the
archive for references to using cygnus's newlib for the installer and
didn't find anything.  Either it hasn't been considered, or there is a
good reason not to use it that I am missing.  I haven't looked into
this deeply, if anyone else has already I'm interested in their
thoughts.

You can find newlib at:
http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/

My initial attempt to link libdetect (auto-detection library) against
newlib failed, though I haven't given up yet. (My ethernet card
detection binary is currently 300K, but I know that it can be _much_
smaller.)

The licenses for newlib are DFSG free as far as I can tell.

-David