Monitor autodetection

Hi,

even if this can only be done with a special kernel, what's wrong with
probing the monitor. I am new to the list, so i don't know if the your
installer will install X at boottime, which I highly recommend. Most users
from Windos haven't seen the DOS-Prompt before, and having to use the shell
to edit some configs or reading the manuals is too hard for them.

But if X is installed at boot-time, we canuse the VESA2.0-Extensions, which
are supported by almost all actual graficcards, and they provide a way to
check the monitor. I don't know if this can be done somewhere else (before
the kernel goes to protected mode.)

If this isn't already done, I'd really like to try to patch my kernel, to
accomplish those task.

Cheers, and in hope that debian will become the most used linux on the
world....

Daniel Migowski