Re: Priorities

> Now, there are some related problems happening.  One big one is the
> fact that "Recommends" and "Suggests" have lost their usefulness
> since apt-get came on the scene.  I venture to suggest that several of
> the inappropriate task-* packages exist purely to remedy this.  If,
> e.g., the Roxen maintainer could add appropriate recommendations and
> suggestions, and feel that people would actually see them, he might
> not have been inspired to build a task-webserver-roxen package.

I think the task-* packages can be solved pretty easily with some
guidelines like:

	Task packages can define different levels of installation. The
	tasksel program will follow these rules for each case:

	- Minimum, installs everything that the task-* package Depends on
	- Standard, installs everything in Minimum, plus packages that it
	  Recommends
	- Complete, installs all of the above plus packages that it
	  Suggests

Then a package such as task-ldap (since I know how LDAP might look) could
do:

Package: task-ldap
Depends: ldap-utils
Recommends: ldap-gateways, slapd
Suggests: libnss-ldap, libpam-ldap

Then in tasksel you choose minimum, standard or complete...

Ben