Re: woody, boot-floppies, and debian-installer projected readiness

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 05:01:22PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> I think one of the problems for the potato floppies as far as adding new
> features was the extended time we were either preparing for a feature
> freese or actually in the freese. It must have been over 6 months.

We froze mid-Januray, we released mid-August. Seven months.

Boot-floppies weren't particularly usable on all architectures until
around June, as I recall, roughly five months after "freeze".

> 12 weeks may be optimistic, but if its going to be frozen for 6 months,
> then we could have a new installer in that timeframe, of course planning
> development schedules based on anticipating long freese time is probably
> foolhardy.

You'll probably have a good six months between potato's release and
woody's freeze. So there's one easy way to see if you can get a decent
new installer in that timeframe. Note that it has to *work* on all
architectures, not just work on i386 and have potential.

Note also that two of those six months have already gone.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark