instalation fails - won't recognize my Hard Drive

I am trying to install Deb Version 2.1 on my PC but the installation doesn't
see my hard drive. It insists I am at a "Diskless Work Station".
Motherboard is ASUS A7V w/ AMD CPU. This MB has a built in "Win 95-98
Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller (POC20265)"
to handle 100 ATA Hard Drives.    Windows Device Manager lists it as a
Device Type: SCSI Controler  -  Promise Ver 02.  and the Drivers as File ver
1.60  Build 19  6/6/2000.  I have a single IBM Deskstar 75GXP (ATA 100) hard
drive installed.  This is a working setup under Win 98.  How do I get LINUX
to recognize it so I can complete the installation process?  Is there a way
to tell it to look to the SCSI controler?  Do I need special drivers if it
goes there? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks  Steve Gilbert
swgilber@pacbell.net