Re: boot problems

"George M. Butler" <butler@tcainternet.com> writes:

> I I did repartition my hard drive and found a  DOS boot disk that let me access
> the CD ROM from  a:  .  I   booted and put in the Debian CD number 1 inr and
> then  ran  boot.bat  from the Install directory.  The Debian install seem to go
> normally.  I set the LILO to boot from the hard disk and rebooted.  Linux seems
> to load normally except the message
>
> modprobe: modprobe:  Can't open dependencies file
>            /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep
>
> That message scrolls hundreds times puctuated by messages that this or
> that process is being done ( random number generator initialized for instance).
> How Linux does not finish booting.

I don't understand.  You are saying that Linux isn't booting off your
hard drive now?  What is the last message that prints, exactly?

The modules.dep problem shouldn't be happening, but it means that you
gotta run depmod -a as root in your new boot file system.  You might
be able to do this from the rescue disk.

It would be nice to track down if this is a bug, and if it's a bug
that's present in the latest boot-floppies (2.2.17).