Re: redesigning the debian installer

Hello,

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 11:17:14AM +0800, Niall Young wrote:
> Re: automating mass installs there are a number of projects to do
exactly
> this, most notably FAI.  It'd be wise to take a look at these as they
all
> suggest different solutions to the same problems:
>
> FAI           http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
> NAIS          http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/nais/
> Mondo         http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/index.html
> Replicator    http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~schaumat/replicator/
> VA SystemImager       http://systemimager.sourceforge.net/

 Let me explain replicator's point of view. We assume that we want to
install 99% identical contents on all of our computers
(classrooms, desktops computers in our lab). So we use rsync to
speed things up and, at the end of the install we do the 1% leaving job.
 Partitionning is auto-scalable to handle different harddisks sizes.
 We recommend cfengine in post-installation (as a front end to apt if we
want to deal with packages).

 It's a lot (really) faster than unpacking packages.

 Using grub on our magical bootdisk allow to use a single floppy for all
the target computers.

 Replicator as been designed for Debian 2.1 and 2.2. We would be pleased
to include it into Woody. We are moving to sourceforge to open
devellopement so all good willing are welcome to help improving it. It's
already used in production environment. We want to implement class based
install.

Sebastien

----
Sebastien CHAUMAT
Ecole Normale Superieure     Laboratoire de Physique
46, Allée d'Italie           +33 4 72 72 84 66  fax: +33 4 72 72 81 81
69364 LYON CEDEX 07 FRANCE   E-mail : schaumat@ens-lyon.fr