Re: FWD: mostly UI issues (Re: redesigning the debian installer)

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 01:24:55PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:

> > Ok, I was wondering about this. Maybe an automatic install mode can deal
> > with _some_ error conditions, but it does seem sometimes you just have
> > to throw up your hands and scream for help. Or give up and say the
> > install failed. And the latter seems a much better call.
>
> Er, former, not latter.

Agreed.  It would be *especially* cool if the installer didn't abort
entirely if, for example, a piece of required information was missing
(for example, if someone forgot to put in the machine's DNS domain
name).  Instead, it would be nice if the installer paused to collect
the information, and then resumed with the unattended installation.

I'd say that's second priority to getting an unattended installation
working, however.

--
Michael S. Fischer <michael@dynamine.net>, AKA Otterley
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA