Re: redesigning the debian installer

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Sparcs and powerpc also have PCI support for the most part -- maybe
> > the focus should be just on PCI support.  Then we could look at SBUS
> > on older sparcs as a sideline?
>
> Concentratin on PCI is the goal, IMO. SBUS device detection is overkill.

It seems academic to me - make guesstimates as to the percentage of
boxes out there that have PCI, ISA, SBUS, whatever... then concentrate
on them from most to least popular.  Make allowances for _all_ of them,
even if you doubt that some will ever be supported (probably trivial,
considering how the new installer will work, but worthy of special
consideration).

I don't think saying, `that's old hardware, let's not support it' is a
good idea - it sounds too much like `upgrade to my standards or get
lost'.

later,

	Bruce