Re: redesigning the debian installer

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:15:51PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > That's true, but a more generalized point is that more and more
> > hardware (sparc, ultrasparc, powerpc, dunno about the rest) support
> > openfirmware or openboot, and it's possible to traverse the
> > openfirmware device tree with pretty damn good results.
>
> I don't think libdetect knows anything about openfirmware. Do you know
> of any hw detection code that does?

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't any except what is in the
kernel.  However, the kernel's is pretty sufficient... I'm all for
using devfs for a lot of this, assuming 2.4 stabilizes in time, which I
would hope it would.  Of course, that doesn't help for figuring out
which modules to load.

Dan