Re: redesigning the debian installer

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 04:09:09PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> I believe there must be a module subsystem defined for not just
> retrieval issues, but also:
>
>  - network/hardware support (discussed above)
>
>  - network configuration (dhcp/bootp)
>
>  - target media support (what we're installing to -- this means
>    PCMCIA/IDE devices, NFSRoot, RAID boot/root, etc.)

I think someone recently brought up the idea on debian-boot of having
an "installer builder," which seems like a wonderful idea.  My idea
would be to have a Web-based builder script on the Debian Web site
(transportable, of course, to a local system if necessary) that would
provide maximum flexibility.  With such a scheme, one could create and
download a boot disk (or set) that could contain the "kitchen sink",
or, alternatively, a very slim 1.44MB boot disk or PXE boot set that
could be used to perform a non-interactive installation with a known
set of (perhaps customized) packages on a known set of hardware.

I'm drooling already,

--
Michael S. Fischer <michael@dynamine.net>, AKA Otterley
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA