Re: redesigning the debian installer

Ben Collins wrote:
> The thing is, most of these autodetection libraries just do "detection,
> suggest module". They don't care whether it is an ethernet card or video
> frame grabber.

That's not how libdetect works. Which library were you thinking of?

> There's no need to duplicate this just for sound (or
> whatever), and IMO it doesn't hurt to do it all at once. Makes the
> installer look more complete, as opposed to "Hey, it didn't detect my
> 'foo' card, why not?".

If the choice is between one floppy with minimal detection and two floppies
with detection of everything, I want one floppy, every day.

If we make it clear that here is the hardware that you might want to use
to install to/from/with, the user shouldn't be asking that question.

> There is no overhead in this, since it is just a matter of PCI ID's
> and module mappings. The PCI_ID->module mapping is already done for all
> modules. Not using it, doesn't save anything.

There's still disk overhead. As Dan showed with libdetect, you can save
50 to 100k by pruning down what it tries to detect.

--
see shy jo