Re: redesigning the debian installer

> Joey Hess wrote:

> > Since retrievers are debian packages, they can have a postinst that is
> > run to set them up.

> > During setup, they may need to prompt the user for
> > information (using debconf). For example, a nfs retriever will probably
> > need to prompt the user for a nfs server name. [ I'm not sure that doing
> > such setup in the postinst is a good idea. ]

I think it is vitally important that the postinst will be able to
accept some sort of file in lieu of interactive input so that the
package will be able to be configured non-interactively.

DHCP can assist the installer with determining the location of such
information.

--
Michael S. Fischer <michael@dynamine.net>, AKA Otterley
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA