Re: DHCP and /boot

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 10:04:28AM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > 1.  DHCP doesn't work correctly, all the information is recieved, the
> > interface goes up, the route's are correct, but no DNS.  No matter what
> > I do.  I checked /etc/resolv.conf, nothing there.  The information is in
> > /tmp/resolv.conf but even if I manually set up the device afterward it doesn't
> > work.  It works fine if I set it up manually the first time with the same info
> > as it recieves from the DHCP server.
>
> That's a general problem then, I suspect.

Are you saying I should file a bug or would you like me to do some debuging. I
don't really have to get this machine up and running right now so if you have
something you want me to try or look for I could do it.

> > Is there something I'm missing in the install guide....
> >

> Yeah, don't make a seperate /boot partition. SILO is not like LILO. It
> actually reads the ext2 filesystem directly. This is something I could not
> solve in the boot-floppies easily, so you have to work around it. I don't
> think you'll lose much by not having /boot on its own partition.
Hrm.. Ok.  I somehow got the wrong message and thought I needed to keep
the kernel below some cylinder number.  I'll try that. Thanks.

William Cordis