Re: New release of boot-floppies

On Sun Aug 13, 2000 at 11:30:47PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE> writes:
>
> > If we don't provide the devices, we should create them online, that
> > would be a feasable solution for me.  Or alternatively we have to
> > remove the drivers that make use of them...
>
> Well, the stupid raid drivers that need all those controller-specific
> devices is what is consuming all the inode space.
>
> You may be able to tweak the controllers that are built.  The
> compromise we *explicitly* made was to only support one controller,
> and only support so many devices, to keep the root disk size down.
>
> If you can find another workaround, great; otherwise, we need to back
> that out so bf can build again.

I supposr we could construct a small (~100k) ramdisk with a zillion inodes on
it and untar a tarball full of device special files into it and then remount
the ramdisk over /dev.  That would do the job while not taking up too much
space...   Just a thought...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org