Sony Cd ROM Model CDU31A-02

I am a new user of Linux.  I cant get the install program to find my CD drive.  I made a floppy boot disk through dos and I get to the list that I have to choose from for the install program to find my CD drive and install the kernal but none of the selections work.  The version of Linux is Debian/GNU.  If the CD drive wont work can I make a stack of floppys thru dos like I did the boot disk?  If I can how do I go about it.  I have read the book that came with Debian and I cant find the answer.

I am going to go back to school in a few weeks for computer science and Linux would really help me with the programming home work that I am sure I will have.  It may even keep me one step ahead.  Please help.

Andrew