Re: kernel dev patches

> The reason for not just using the normal /proc is that it enlarges the
> kernel by about 67KB in 2.[34].x which is about 5% of our space on the
> initial boot floppy. By using a few dev modules we could (if we choose)
> avoid having to use a kernel with /proc support compiled in.

I Don't think we will ever be able to reasonably support using a kernel
without /proc on boot-floppies, or any other system. There are quite a few
things that are needed in /proc besides partitions and filesystems (among
them are cpuinfo). Replacing all of them with some sort of device or ioctl
type thing, isn't feasible I think.

Ben