Problem booting an old 386 using rescue1440... kernel panic re no copro

Hi!
I'm a newbie to Debian (trying to use FreeSCO, the linux-based router)
having problems booting on my old 386.

The FreeSCO system loads most of the kernel, starts to do router stuff...
then hangs with a kernel panic stating that the kernel needs maths copro
emulation (my 386SX doesn't have a 387...).

So I thought, what the heck, let's install a proper version of Debian and
see if I can recompile me a new kernel with emulation.

Problem is, having downoaded the rescue disk, when I boot that I get the
same problem just after the VFS tries to load up the root filesystem.

Can anyone help me by either
a) pointing me to a patched FreeSCO kernel with copro emulation (ideal)
or
b) pointing me at a Debian rescue disk image that will get me to a normal
Debian install?

All/any help gratefully accepted!

Many thanks
Jon Fawbert