Re: [woody,debinst] (Was: Re: [dbootstrap] `newt' and `boxes.c', `bogl' and `bowl'[, `???' and `boxeX.c'?])

    bug1> Talking about newt, did you know there exists gnewt, its a gnome wrapper
    bug1> around newt, not directly usefull to us, but who knows, could come in
    bug1> handy.

    bug1> http://oksid.ch/gnewt/

 I'll look this over and see if it's as cool as it seems at first
 glance.  With `gnewt', we could do an installer that works on both
 character terminals, and on `xserver-vga16' (or xserver-fbdev ?)

    Karl> They have device detection codes worth haveing a look over also...
    Karl> so does Corel Linux.

    bug1> Redhats hardware detection is called kudzu, i believe mandrakes
    bug1> libdetect is better than kudzu (for isa cards at least).

 Ok.  I didn't know that.  I had assumed that they both use the same
 `libdetect'.

Red Hat's `libfdisk' contains a partition editor with a `newt'
interface.  It might be possible to port it to our system and hook
that into our Woody `debinst' `dbootstrap'.

    bug1> What about parted, it doesnt have much a of a GUI, but it wouldnt be
    bug1> hard to do i dont think.
    bug1> I think the ability to resize existing partitions (non destructivve
    bug1> install) is one most users would really like.

    >> Can shell scripts be compressed and executed via "zcat SCRIPT |
    >> /bin/sh"?  Would that buy us some space?  How about other
    >> executables?  Can they easily be compressed somehow?  (launched
    >> through a shell script that does autodecompress or something?)

    bug1> Cramfs is a compressed read-only filesystem in 2.4, it compresses each
    bug1> block, so it doesnt get the same compression as you would on the whole
    bug1> file.

    bug1> I have heard of a way you can make bziped executables, only read about
    bug1> it though.

    bug1> Glenn

    bug1> --
    bug1> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-boot-request@lists.debian.org