Re: PPPoE for base?

PPPoE = PPP over Ethernet. It's the connection method icnreasingly being
imposed on home DSL users by their ISPs (PacBell and Bell Atlantic are two
big DSL providers inflicting it on their new customers).

Here in the West, PacBell provides its own (proprietary, binary only) PPPoE
stuff for Linux users.

There's also the "Roaring Penguin" package (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/).
They release the binary only as an .rpm, but there is a source .tgz; I don't
know the license.

There is a pppoe_*.deb package maintained by Christian Hudon
<chrish@debian.org>.

Too bad it won't make the cut. It's starting to look like it will be a big
deal for home (and possibly small business) users of DSL.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com