Re: initchroot feature?

On Thu Jun 08, 2000 at 11:15:11PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 04:51:03PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > I see that dbootstrap supports the "initchroot" feature of some kernel to
> > start the new system without rebooting... But I cannot find that in any
> > kernel source?
> >

> It was a patch distributed on l-k some time back. I tried to get it
> working, but it had issues with NFS roots, so I put it on the backburner
> until woody/2.4.x (which includes the feature).

Since Woody will be using the 2.4 kernel, we will be able to use the new "pivot
root" feature to do this, whic does essentially the same thing, but does it
much cleaner.  The current "initchroot" stuff in dbootstrap and in busybox init
will be replaced with new stuff to do the "pivot root" thing.  But this is
definately Woddy stuff.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.xmission.com/~andersen/