Re: Sparc CDROM booting

On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 at 06:09:30AM -0400, Phillip Payne (PAYNEPH @ GBNUHO) wrote:
>  Date:     02-06-2000 11:07:59 AM
>  Telephone:
>  Subject:  Sparc CDROM booting
>

>  Hello Debian Install Team,
>
>  Please help,
>
>  I am trying to install Potato on my Sparc 20 machine from a set of Sparc
>  binary CDROMs bought at the Linux Expo in London yesterday. I get down to
>  the prom and issue the familiar "boot cdrom" command and when it tries to
>  boot i get a message there is a Bad Magic number on the Superblock and it
>  refuses to boot. I have preveously been running Redhat 5.2 and 6.0 on this
>  machine and it boots these disks in this manner without a problem. If i
>  cannot boot from the cdroms how do i create boot floppies for the sparc
>  (presumably with the dd command). I have reinstalled Redhat 6 on the
>  machine so i have a working system and can mount the distribution CDROM ,
>  i just need a bit of a hand with floppy creation process.

Thanks for trying Debian. I presume this is a slink install (Debian 2.1).
I am not sure about the bootability of slink CD's. If you want to boot
from floppy, you can find the disk images in dist/stable/main/disks-sparc
on the CD. You will need to atleast write the rescue and root images, then
you can use the CD for the rest of the install.

Also note that the debian-sparc@lists.debian.org list is more appropriate
for sparc related questions. Debian-boot is meant for general discussion
about the Debian boot-floppies.