Release notes observations

Hi,

I am in the progress of translating the release notes for potato to german.
Obviously this way I have to thoroughly read them so I can as well make
some comments on them:

Kernel flavors:

udma66?
  I think we should explain what Andre Hedrick's did in his patches. Even I
  do not know what the UDMA66 Kernel would buy me.

compact:
> Finally, `compact' also supports several common RAID controllers: DAC960,
> and Compaq's SMART2 RAID controllers.

This sounds like the vanilla kernel does not support those controllers.
I would be very surprised if this was indead the case...

> The kernel config files for these flavors can be found in their respective
> directories in a file named "kernel-config".

??? Where? What are their "respective directories"? Is that in the
kernel-source-2.2.15-foo package? On the disk? Sorry, I really don't know.

> All of the CDs are self-contained, meaning you can insert any one of them
> and operate with its contents, without needing to meddle with others.
> <prgn/apt-cdrom/ is used to manage multiple CDs, either through the command
> line interface, <prgn/apt-cdrom/, or the <prgn/apt/ access method for
> <prgn/dselect/.

What are you trying to say here? I don't think the 2nd CD will be self
contained because it probably relies on libraries (like libc) from the
first disk!?

> mount an additional `devpts' virtual drive, to support Unix98 PTYs, and

This could use an explanation (at least what a PTY is should be explained).

> <file>/etc/init.d/network</file> script, as set up by the old Debian
> installation procedures, prints error messages with the new kernel; this

We should stress here that those messages are harmless (or am I wrong and
they could mean real trouble?)

So far for now, going to bed...

cu
    Torsten