Potato install successful

Hi,

I installed potato as of yesterday onto a hard disk my father had
brought to me.  (He later took the disk back and intends to use the new
installation in his own system.)  The short story: everything went OK
except for the ne bug (63855), which I was able to work around.

The hard disk was /dev/hdb, my present system (running current
woody) is /dev/hda.  I had downloaded base and drivers tarballs into
/dev/hda5/debian, and made the boot & root disks.

The dbootstrap run went OK, except for the fact that the NE driver could
not be loaded (bug already known).  I installed kernel from the floppy
and drivers from a mounted directory (I did not remember which partition
had them, so I repeatedly tried mounting partitions to see which one
it was).  I made a boot floppy but decided not to use it.  Naturally,
I did not install lilo.

The middle-way boot was my workaround for the NE bug: I booted using
my current system's lilo and kernel (which has NE built in), but set
root to the new system.  There were many error messages about modules
(which was to be expected) and I ignored them.  The rest of the install
went OK and was quite eventless.

I noted that the installation process was greatly improved, and I liked
the new looks.  Good work, boot-floppies team!

The test system is a 267 MHz Celeron with 128 MB of memory.  The current
system disk is a ~13GB Seagate and the target disk is a ~4GB Seagate,
both IDE.  Network adapter is a D-link DE-220PCT, a NE-compatible ISA
card.  Network is a 10baseT ethernet with static IP's.  The system has
a floppy disk drive and a GUS MAX.

                    I'm moving IRL on May 2, 2000.
               New contact information on the home page