Re: Directory structure

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 10:41:03AM +0100, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> > Again, I'm pretty happy with the scheme we have now and am disinclined to
> > change it.
>
> Please keep in mind that _newbies_ must be happy with the
> scheme. Your opinion as experienced Debian user might not be that
> relevant in this case.
>
> Which is exactly the problem with the current scheme: newbies are
> _not_ likely to be happy with it. It needs enormous amounts of
> documentation, which is lacking at this point.

Anyway, Debian boot-floppies are not for Newbies right now (this may
be a goal but it is not the fact right now) And Newbie shouldn't even
have to know the filesystem tree. they just want to select : Install
from: Floppies, CDROM, Network...

If you want to see what newbies want, look at the Mandrake 7 install
process (doesn't look specifically at the "graphical" interface but
rather at the "user" interface - ie: the questions), it may not be
perfect but it fit better for Newbies.

And for sure better docs are needed (even for not so Newbies, they are
always needed)

A+

--
Fabrice Gautier <gautier@email.enst.fr>